




Ok, I just realized my last posting was from December, after we returned from Disneyland. So much has happened and I am not sure if I can recall it all, but here is my best attempt :)
Here is my recollection of the important events:
January: I started back to school for my second semester of the Yuba College Nursing Program. This has got to be the hardest semester I have ever endured. Although, I think I learned a lot, I am not sure how much of it actually stuck with me because of the intensity. The semester was a total of 16 units, much more than "full-time." We started with learning about IV lines and fluids. We had to have 3 successful sticks in order to pass the IV therapy class, one being on a real person. I was so nervous, I cannot even recall who my partner was, most likely my friend, Corrine, I met in the nursing program. So I passed IV therapy with an A - although it was only a credit/ no credit class so, unfortunately, it didn't help my GPA... Oh well! Then it was on to learn all about pediatric patients, maternity, and post partum patients. Although, the class was hard, I found the subjects to be interesting and did well. We did 3 pediatric rotations, 3 post partum rotations, then labor and delivery, a medi-cal based clinic, a child birth class, and there is probably more, but I don't remember. I really liked working both pediatrics and post partum. Post partum was very slow paced, but the upside was working with "healthy" people rather than sick.
Along side the Maternal/ Child class we also took Medical-Surgical nursing which is the basic sick people who are hospitalized... Our main focus was the GI system so we saw a lot of nausea and vomitting type stuff, but also surgical, pain, and cancer patients. My favorite patient by far was my oncology patient - she had the same cancer as my Grandmother, the same age, and reminded me much of my "Gramma." I was so busy with all of the work from the other class, I don't feel as though I learned as much as I would have liked, but I have 2 more semesters ahead of me of Med-Surg nursing, whereas I only had 1 semester of Maternal/ Child nursing.
February:
February seemed to stay pretty uneventful - we started in the hospital in February, but nothing too exciting was going on... if there was something, I must have been too caught up in school and my family to realize!
March:
March was the first month Jason was gone away from home for work. To me he is gone for a month at a time, but in reality he is gone Monday- Friday, then home on the weekends. I didn't have a single Med-Surg patient in March because the state came to inspect the hospital and therefore they didn't want any students there and in part because it's just the way my schedule fell. March we also had out spring break - so Jordyn, Jadyn, and I packed up and went and visited Jason in Santa Cruz where he was working. We took the girls to Monterey to the aquarium (Jason was working between Santa Cruz and Monterey) and to the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk. So although he was gone, it ended up working out for the month of March.
April:
Most importantly my baby girl turned 2! Unfortunately I was so bogged down with school work, I couldn't plan a birthday party for her so I sent cupcakes to daycare and opened presents at home. I am glad she is only 2, because it wasn't as disappointing to her as if she were Jordyn's age (almost 5 :( ). Her Aunt Alex made sure to tell her just the other day that if I don't throw her a birthday party next year, then she is going to do it!! At least Auntie Alex lovers her Jadyn. Thanfully, since April was so hectic, Jason was working somewhat locally, meaning he came home every night which helped me sooo much. More than he probably will ever ever realize!
I also found out in April that my Mama would be moving out of state if she wanted to keep her job. The company she works for is closing their Sacramento office, but is able to employ who wanted to keep their jobs. Considering the economy, the unemployment rate in CA, and her age (not that my mom is old, but how much longer til she retires? Companies look at those kind of things, ya know!) it was best for her to move - she chose Phoenix, AZ - her choices were Tampa, San Antonio, Colorado Springs, and Phoenix. Phoenix is the closest and her brother lives there, too (well in AZ). My Gramma (my moms mom) is sick with Stage 4 lymphoma - so this had to probably be the hardest decsion my mother ever had to make.
May:
This is the start to a long, hard road for the girls and myself, and probably Jason, too. Jason was gone for May due to work, with us only seeing him on the weekends. I had my finals at the end and finished up the semester. I was able to maintain my 3.0 nursing program GPA, which I am very proud of considering I took 16 units, have 2 beautiful little girls, and a husband who works full time and sometimes away from home! I even managed a 90% on my maternal/child final - which was nice because it was a standardized test, therefore, no subjective grading.
Are you starting to see, my life consists of Jordyn and Jadyn (and Jason when he's not away at work) and SCHOOL! Next year at this time I will be a happy girl...
June:
This was the best month yet! School was out for the summer. Jordyn graduated preschool - she cried that night - reality set it she wouldn't have Mrs. Reyes as a teacher, and she wouldn't be returning the next school year to Jack and Jill Playschool. She met a lot of good friends, and lucky enough, one of the closest to her will be attending the same elementary school. School wasn't completely out for me - next semester is our cardiac semester - so to get a heads up I took a cardiac arrhythmia course - which I passed with flying colors! Oh yeah! Jason was away again at work - this month working in Reno. I took the opportunity to spend a couple days up there - taking the girls to Circus Circus and spending some time relaxing by the pool and enjoying my family. Even if it means spending it in a hotel room! At least we were together. The girls and I enjoyed our visit to Reno and the other things we have been able to enjoy since school is out - the library summer reading program, the Thursday night kids events, Tuesday $1 ice cream, etc.
July:
Ahhh... we are almost current! Jason was gone again, this time roaming between Petaluma and Fairfield. He stayed the weeks since he had to be in Petaluma at 5 am. Although, I had a really rough week with the girls and he came home every night to help out and get up every morning at 2:30 to get to work! He's amazing! Again, we took a mini vacation to petaluma and took the girls to Dillons Beach and it was amazing to take a nap on the beach, play in the water, throw a frisbee... be completely carefree. But we have a dog and I can't be gone long... so we cut our trip short after just 2 nights. Jordyn and Jadyn started back up in gymnastics which they both love and Jordyn started Ballet today. She told me today that she loves it! I love having them so active, but it really cuts into our mini- vacations. Yesterday, we had Jordyn's birthday party and man she made out! She insisted we have a "water" party at our house - we don't have a pool, but she didnt' want a pool, she wanted an inflatable waterslide, slip and slides, bounce house, etc - and she got just that. Luckily we were able to borrow an inflatable waterslide that most of the kids had a blast in. A small pool for the little ones, and a bounce house. We never made it to the slip and slides and the bounce house didn't get much use either... the waterslide was the main attraction!
Jason just started his 4th month away in Plesanton - I am hoping to make it out there wednesday - I would go sooner, but my mom's last day in CA is tomorrow and she will start her drive to Phoenix on Wednesday. I have a very good, childhood friend who lives in Dublin and my cousin April who I haven't seen in forever in San Francisco. I am hoping to be able to catch up with both of them this week. And just in 3 short weeks - Jordyn will start kindergarten and my life will be over as I know it back at school, too. I have already started studying.
And Jordyn will be 5 on friday...
Tata for now!
I will post pictures soon... here are some recent ones of Jordyn and Jadyn
No comments:
Post a Comment